The SuperPro range includes polyurethane solid rod. This material can be machined with ease, and is available in 70 +/-3, 80+/-3, and 90 +/3, 95 Shore “A” Hardness.
SuperPro solid rod is available in production colours. Special orders for colours or Duro hardness will be accepted however these orders will attract an extra cost.
These helpful hints will ensure safe accurate machining of polyurethane rod.
- Tool: Parting tool must be in the form of a razor sharp knife blade. The machining tool should have a 30-degree rake on the leading or top edge & must also be razor sharp.
- Surface Speed: 500ft/min e.g. – 2000 RPM on 1” bar
- Length Ratio: Simplest to machine with 2:1 diameter to length ratio. E.g. 2” solid rod projects 4” chuck out. (The poly rod will move away from the tool if any lower).
- Travelling Steady: “Don’t use” travelling steady, when machining long tubular lengths. The friction created where the steady comes into contact with the rod will melt the polyurethane.
- Using a mandrel: When machining outside diameter on long tubular parts, machine on a “Mandrel”.
- Drilling: When drilling, force drill into rod to create required internal diameter. Then allow drill to dwell for a smooth finish. The polyurethane material will actually melt to size.
SPECIAL NOTE: When working with 70 Duro, for best results and for ease of machining place rod to be worked on, in freezer section of refrigerator the night before.
SuperPro Rod is available in the following sizes:
- 25.4mm OD
- 38.1mm OD
- 50.0mm OD
- 63.5mm OD
- 75.0mm OD
- Special colours and hardness’s are available at extra cost.
- When machining any polyurethane component DO NOT INHALE any vapours or smoke which could be created.
- Always wear protective clothing and protective.
DISCLAIMER: SuperPro, will not accept responsibility for breakage or premature wear of component or mating parts caused by incorrect fitment of machined parts.